The Poetics of Movement Quality Visualization
EMVIZ is an interactive artistic visualization engine that produces dynamic visual representations of Laban Basic-Efforts which are derived from the rigorous framework of Laban Movement Analysis. Movement data is obtained from a real-time machine-learning system that applies Laban Movement Analysis to extract movement qualities from a moving body. EMVIZ maps the Laban Basic-Efforts to design rules, drawing parameters, and color palettes for creating visual representations that amplify audience ability to appreciate and differentiate between movement qualities.
Papers & Posters:
- Subyen, P., Maranan, D. S., Schiphorst, T., Pasquier, P. & Batram, L. (2011). “EMVIZ: The Poetics of Movement Quality Visualization.” Computational Aesthetic 2011 Eurographics Workshop on Computational Aesthetics in Graphics, Visualization and Imaging, Vancouver, Canada. [to appear]
- Subyen, P., Maranan, D. S., Carlson, K., Schiphorst, T. & Pasquier, P. (2011). “Flow: Expressing Movement Quality” CHI 2011 Workshop: The user in flux: bringing HCI and digital arts together to interrogate shifting roles in interactive media, Vancouver, Canada.
- Subyen, P., Maranan, D. S., Schiphorst, T. & Pasquier, P. (2010). “Mapping, Meaning and Motion: Designing Abstract Visualization of Movement Qualities.”Digital Resources for the Humanities & Arts 2010: Sensual Technologies Collaborative Practices of Interdisciplinarity, Brunel University, London, UK.
- Subyen, P., Maranan, D. S., Schiphorst, T. & Pasquier, P.(2010). “Paint With Your Efforts: Interactive installation.” E-mixer’10, Surrey Art Gallery, Surrey, Canada.
- Subyen, P., Maranan, D. S., Schiphorst, T., Pasquier, P. & Bartram, L. (2011). “The Poetics of Movement Quality Visualization.” 6th Annual IRMACS Day, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, Canada.